When choosing health care coverage, it’s important to consider your vacation plans. If you’re someone who frequently travels, spends time away from home, or splits your time between different locations, it’s essential to factor these key points into your decision when choosing a Medicare plan or reviewing your existing coverage.
Key points to keep in mind:
- Medicare plans may not work the same way everywhere you go. Some plans only provide coverage within the state or county where you live and purchased the plan.
- If you frequently travel or spend extended periods of time in different locations, you need to ensure that your Medicare coverage works for you, no matter where you are.
- Original Medicare (Parts A & B) will travel with you within the United States and most territories. You can see any doctor or facility that accepts Medicare, and in most cases, you don’t need a referral.
- If you travel outside of the country, most medical services won’t be covered, except for emergency services in Canada, medical care on a cruise ship in U.S. territorial waters, and non-emergency inpatient services in a foreign hospital that’s closer to your home residence than the nearest U.S. hospital.
- Medicare Advantage or Part D plans may be limited by their service area, and if you leave it, your plan may not cover you. Some Medicare Advantage plans may offer travel coverage, but costs and rules about in-network versus out-of-network providers can vary widely.
- Emergency care while traveling in the country is covered by both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans without additional costs or rules about coverage.
Before you embark on your next vacation, be sure that your healthcare coverage works for you while you travel. Whether you frequently travel or spend extended periods of time in different locations, it’s essential to carefully review and compare your Medicare coverage options. By contacting your plan provider directly and taking the time to understand your coverage, you can enjoy your travels with peace of mind, knowing that you have the right coverage to meet your unique needs. You may also contact us for more in-depth information on your coverage.
Aloha, and Safe travels!