As a senior citizen, you rely on Medicare to provide you with the medical care you need to stay healthy. Unfortunately, scammers and fraudsters also know how valuable your Medicare benefits are, and they will go to great lengths to try to trick you into giving up your personal information or signing up for services you do not need.
Here are some tips to help you avoid Medicare fraud:
1. Protect your Medicare card: Your Medicare card contains your personal information, including
your Medicare number, which can be used to steal your identity or commit fraud. Keep your card in a safe place, and do not carry it around with you unless you need it for a doctor’s appointment.
Never give your Medicare number to someone you do not trust, or to someone who contacts you unsolicited.
2. Be cautious of unsolicited offers: If someone calls you or shows up at your door offering you free medical services or equipment, be suspicious. Legitimate healthcare providers do not usually contact patients this way. Never agree to receive medical services or equipment from someone you do not know or trust.
3. Review your Medicare statements: Make sure that you are only being charged for services that you actually receive. If you notice any errors or discrepancies on your Medicare statement, report them immediately. Scammers often bill Medicare for services or equipment that you never received, so it is important to stay vigilant.
4. Say “no” to healthcare scams: Be wary of anyone who offers you a miracle cure or treatment that isn’t covered by Medicare. These scams are often marketed as “alternative” or “natural” treatments, but they are usually just a way for scammers to make money off of vulnerable seniors. Stick with treatments recommended by your doctor or covered by Medicare.
5. Report suspicious activity: If you suspect that someone is trying to defraud you of your Medicare benefits, report it immediately. You can contact your local Senior Medicare Patrol or call 1-800-MEDICARE to report fraud.
By staying vigilant and informed, you can protect yourself from Medicare fraud and ensure that you are getting the medical care you need without any unnecessary expenses or headaches. Remember: if something seems too good to be true, it is!
Please contact our customer support services at (844) 998-7878 if you would like further guidance on how to avoid Medicare fraud.