Medicare and Durable Medical Equipment Coverage

Durable Medical Equipment Medicare

Are you trying to figure out whether or not your durable medical equipment is covered by Medicare? The answer, in short, is yes, however, it depends on what equipment you need.

You’ll want to ensure that your care provider and the durable medical equipment supplier your provider goes through accepts Medicare. This is important because Medicare makes agreements with care providers and DME suppliers. What this means is that Medicare only allows them to charge you up to 20 percent for the equipment. Medicare will cover the remaining 80 percent. You will only ever have to pay 20% of the price of the equipment. This 20% in dollars will fluctuate depending on the price of the equipment.Now you must be wondering what specific durable medical equipment Medicare covers right?  

Equipment Covered by Medicare Part B includes:

Blood Sugar Monitors
Blood Sugar Test Strips
Commode Chairs
Hospital Beds
Infusion pumps and supplies
Lancet Devices and lancets
Patient lifts- These lift you from your bed to your wheelchair
Nebulizers and Nebulizer medications
Oxygen equipment and accessories
Pressure reducing support surfaces
Suction pumps
Traction Equipment
Urological supplies- Catheters
Wheelchairs and scooters

Now, what durable medical equipment does Medicare not cover?

This list is not extensive and most durable medical equipment is covered by Medicare. However, what is not normally covered is common medical supplies.

These devices include equipment and supplies such as:
Compression Leggings
Face Masks
Grab Bars
Wheel Chair Ramps

Don’t see your Durable Medical Equipment listed on here? Contact your broker specializing in Medicare to help you find out what’s covered. 


Subscribe to Our Blog

[mc4wp_form id="504"]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Would you like Important Medicare Updates?

Keep up-to-date on changes to Medicare or ways to save on healthcare costs with our monthly blog updates.
Subscribe Today!