Get the most of your coverage so you can live your BEST LIFE!
When it comes to Medicare, there’s more than meets the eye. In this blog, we’ll explore 15 lesser-known services covered by Original Medicare, with a focus on Original Medicare Part B. Whether you’re a new beneficiary or a seasoned one, understanding these services can help you make the most of your coverage.
- Welcome to Medicare Preventive Visit
- Upon enrolling in Medicare, you’re entitled to a Welcome to Medicare visit. This comprehensive checkup with your Medicare-covered primary care physician establishes a baseline for your health and sets the stage for your upcoming health management plan.
- Yearly Wellness Visits
- In addition to the initial visit, Medicare covers an annual wellness visit with your primary care physician. This dedicated checkup ensures that your overall health is on track and allows for a review of your care plan.
- Counseling to Quit Smoking
- If you’re looking to quit smoking, Medicare has your back. Coverage includes up to eight face-to-face counseling sessions per year with a healthcare provider to support your journey to a tobacco-free life.
- Flu Shots
- Protect yourself from the flu with Medicare-covered flu shots, available at your doctor’s office or local pharmacy. Combined with good hygiene practices, flu shots are a powerful defense against influenza.
- Nutrition Therapy Services
- For those with qualifying conditions like diabetes or kidney disease, Medicare may cover nutrition therapy services. This includes assessments and individual and/or group nutritional therapy services.
- Alcohol Misuse Screening & Counseling
- Address alcohol misuse with Medicare’s coverage for annual screenings. If necessary, you can receive up to four face-to-face counseling sessions per year to help you manage your alcohol usage.
Note: You must get the counseling in a primary care setting. For example, like a doctor’s office.
- COVID-19 Vaccination and Boosters
- Stay protected from COVID-19 with Medicare-covered vaccinations and boosters. Accessible at your doctor’s office or local pharmacy, getting vaccinated not only safeguards you but also contributes to community health.
- COVID-19 Tests (Including Antibody Tests)
- Medicare covers all types of COVID-19 tests, ensuring you can get tested if you feel unwell. This includes at-home rapid tests and antibody tests to assess your potential immunity.
- COVID-19 Monoclonal Antibody Treatments
- If you test positive for COVID-19 with mild to moderate symptoms, Medicare covers monoclonal antibody treatments to help fight the virus and avoid hospitalization.
- Obesity Screening & Counseling
- Medicare Part B covers obesity screenings and counseling for individuals with a BMI of 30 or more. Work with your healthcare provider to focus on diet and exercise for a healthier lifestyle.
- Gender-Specific Cancer Screenings
- Medicare covers specific cancer screenings for both men and women, including prostate cancer screenings for men and mammograms/Pap smears for women.
- Diabetes Self-Management Training
- Newly diagnosed with diabetes? Medicare offers coverage for diabetes self-management training to help you cope with and manage your condition effectively. Medicare may cover up to 10 hours of this initial training – 1 hour of individual training and 9 hours of group training.
- Special Footwear for Diabetes
- For those with diabetes, Medicare may cover therapeutic shoes and inserts prescribed by an approved podiatrist to address foot neuropathy.
- Colorectal Cancer Screenings
- Medicare covers various diagnostic screenings for colorectal cancer, including stool DNA tests and colonoscopies. Regular screenings are essential for early detection.
- Depression Screenings
- Seniors can benefit from Medicare’s yearly depression screenings at no cost. If needed, referrals to mental health professionals or prescription options may be recommended.
Understanding your Medicare coverage is crucial for managing your health. These 15 covered services ensure that you receive the necessary screenings, tests, and support for a healthier and happier life. If you have questions about your coverage or want to explore additional options, feel free to reach out to our office to request a coverage review.